Friday, June 12, 2009

The Climb and Some Tips

When I announced my intentions to climb Mt K, friends who've climbed the mountain before didn't respond with anything resembling enthusiasm. It seems like I was doomed to climb a mountain I would regret. My cousin was especially candid, describing to me how the trail was not like a mountain trail at all but an endless staircase to climb. Worse, the steps are built so tall you will just die. But, worst of all, there are no scenery to enjoy because of the thick vegetations.

Thankfully, Lixin's friend advised us to take the longer Mesilau Trail for better sceneries. No websites would advise first-timers to take on this route, but oh well, who's gonna stop us! Hence, we decided to ascend via the Mesilau Trail and descend via the Timphonon Trail.

The Mesilau Trail
The Mesilau Trail is definitely much longer. So my first advise is to start early and don't rest too long on the way. We took our time to ascend and we didn't make it to Laban Rata before dusk. But I must say, the sunset sceneries were magnificient and totally worth the horrible night climb later. Consequently, we hiked up the last 2 km (which amounts to about 3 hours) in the cold wet night with hungry stomachs (since dinner was waiting for us at Laban Rata).

However, the Mesilau Trail is very rewarding indeed. The sceneries there are superb. From time to time, you'll find vantage points to enjoy marvelous views. The steps are not as many nor as huge as those on the Timphonon Trail. There are more mudtracks too. Between distance and giant staircases, I'd rather choose the former. To all first-time climbers, I say, choose the Mesilau Trail!

The Mesilau Trail is really beautiful, so please please don't damage it. Walk on the centre of the trail as much as possible to reduce erosion along the trail. Don't widen the path or you may hurt the plants growing right next to the trail. And please keep it litter-free! (Compliments to users and rangers of the trail because I'm really impressed there was not a single litter to be found!)

Many people make the mistake of taking the Mesilau Trail on the descend (probably because of the way the reserve marketed it). When you're so tired after reaching the summit, the only thing you want is to finish the descend as soon as possible. But the Mesilau Trail is long and full of ups and downs. I don't think you'll like the ups when you're bent on coming down the mountain. The Timphonon Trail, on the other hand, is a good trail to descend because it is straight down. The only thing you might be careful to prepare is a good pair of knee/ankle support because the impact of those giant steps can be agonizing. Lixin sprained her ankle on the descend. Oh yes, a climbing stick would be very helpful too.

Waterpoints. Yes, there are waterpoints along the way for both the Mesilau Trail and the Timphonon Trail. However, the waterpoints may not be available during dry seasons so don't count on them. And they are untreated water, so bring your purification tablets. I say, bring a 0.5L to 1L waterbottle up. Your 2kg lunchpack would also include another 0.5L bottled mineral water and a can of Coke. Talking about lunchpack, bring ketchup or chilli packets with you too. The sandwiches are bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment