Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Gathering

The first thoughts of going up Mt Kinabalu (thereafter, shall be shortened to Mt K) was born while Lixin, Ziyang and I were on another mountain a year ago. That was an impromptu day hike up part of Lantau Mountain when we were at Hong Kong. We had so much fun then, we wanted to have another trip just to climb a mountain. Mt K was the most attractive destination because of its reputation to be traveller-friendly. But the plan did not settle at that; We were tempted to explore Nepal or Indonesia too, and the indecisiveness worn us down. At some point of time, it almost felt like we were just dreaming and making empty talks. Anyhow, we finally decided to be steadfast with Mt K and so we began our journey...

Si Hui has been my jogging partner for the past year, and I couldn't be more glad when Lixin told me that Si Hui would join our party. It was also great news because Ziyang pulled out due to other plans and I was worried it was going to be just Lixin and I. Not that Lixin was a horrible bunkmate, but it's kinda boring with just two persons. So Si Hui came aboard and woh... you won't believe how fun it was...girl-talks, church-talks, camera-whoring, and especially her woohoo-ing at everything amusing! Oh, have I forgotten to mention I basically borrowed from her all the winter wear I needed?! haha. Si Hui is an inspiration too. She's really positive about life, full of hopes and zeal. She stuns me time and time again how she finds pleasure in situations I find impossible, simply depressing or maybe even boring. It's a common notion that happy people are simple-minded, but the truth about her is that in spite of life's worries, she sees the bright side of things, finds courage in God's strength and walks towards the hopeful future. And as she walks, she discovers the joys she knew she would find.

At Gunting Luganda (the mid-mountain stopover before you continue with the summit trail), I was freezing in my bunk and hated to move even an inch under the cold linen. Si Hui was jumping with excitment when she saw stars in the window, "Let's go out and see the stars! They are so beautiful!" I refused, and she came at me again, "Two hours! Let's watch the stars for two hours and we'll be back." I gagged. Two hours? Stars? I have gone stargazing for 4 hours before so I know they are captivating. But 2 hours in this freezing night? I looked at my shoes which were wet from yesterday's climb and dreaded putting my already cold feet into them. I refused to budge and she left without me. Indeed, she left without me! I was surprised she really ventured into the pitch darkness, cold and loneliness of the outside. It was safe enough on the veranda, but I would have thought it was no fun being alone. So this I've learnt from her: Sometimes, we just have to get over the discomforts of our situations, want badly enough, and go for it!

Si Hui came back 2 hours later, "Let's go out and catch the sunrise!" Once again, I wished she didn't ask, but having refused her once I thought I ought to do better this time. Hence, I finally dragged myself out of bed after she bribed me with a cup of hot milo. As I walked towards the door, I kept second-guessing how beautiful it can get. Don't all sunrise look about the same? But when I opened the door, I was terribly mistaken. The mountain morning was fantastic (although I know my sleepy face didn't show my amazement in the photos). The view above clouds was heavenly and the morning pastel colors were simply comforting after a cold wet night. It was strange the warm colors in the skies didn't match the cold temperatures, yet it was interesting and nice. What injustice I would have done to yesternight's miseries if I hadn't enjoyed that moment's wonder--a wonder only possible to witness because of the heights we attained! So here's the next lesson: Just believe in that vague but sure reward, because when it comes, it will amaze you beyond your imagination. And don't compromise just because you're tired, because you'll be sorry you made yourself suffer for nothing.


Lixin was an indispensable member too. Though Si Hui and I jogged almost frequently, our fitness were far from acceptable and we weren't the most enthusiastic people when it comes to training. Lixin was the constant reminder for us to get back on our physical trainings. Oh yes, she was the true-blue nurse too. I was stunned when she presented to us her research on altitude sickness and medications and especially when she pressed me to confirm my bloodtype so as to make me an emergency medical information card. "No agarations! This is important," this was the email I received one sleepy morning. Her email was dated something like 3 or 4am and I thought she's crazy to stay up so late to do this sort of stuff. But oh well, that's her! Her first-aid kit alone was, I say, at least 1 kg. Always prepared. That was her motto. And hey, it pays off! Her constant exercise regime made her fit enough to reach the summit!

No comments:

Post a Comment