Because we didn't reach Laban Rata before dusk, we had to spend 3 hours climbing in the dark. It was the worse thing that could happen. It was cold (10 degrees Celsius or less), drizzling, windy and dark. And we were hungry and exhausted after 8 long hours of climb. By 4.5km (still daylight), Si Hui was already tiring out. By nightfall, I started having chest pain (dull epigastric pain on exertion) during the last few km. Thankfully, Si Hui was slowing down significantly and stopping every 8 steps or so so I could rest from the pain too. I didn't tell them about it, afraid of breaking the already fragile morale. Besides, the frequent rests gave me time to recuperate. I know, I really should have told the party, but I didn't. I was mortally frightened that I might deteriorate, yet there was no other choice except to inch my way up to Laban Rata. Bil had no idea what to do if there was an emergency and I don't think a helicopter would really come up. I have 2 nurses with me, but with no equipment, what realistic hope do I have? Seriously, I was scared for my life. That night, I developed a fever and I just wondered how I was going to survive the descend. The next morning, when even the descend to the Laban Rata cafe from our hut made me pant, I could only wish the descend to be as smooth as possible. Thankfully, the giant steps of the Timphonon Trail slowed us much and made it easy on my lungs. I feel so unsatisfied that I didn't even get to start on the summit trail. I want to come back to Mt K again! And reach the summit!
I must say, Lixin was an excellent climbing mate. I don't know what went through her mind, but she sure kept her composure and found spare strength in her to encourage Si Hui and I to continue. As urgent as it was to reach Laban Rata, she was patient enough to sustain us through the ardous journey. I can just imagine, if I were her, the most naturally things I might say could be, "Come on! We have to get to Laban Rata asap. The more we stay out here, the more dangerous it'll be." So, one more thing I've learnt: Sometimes, people already know what they need to do. So more importantly, they need to know they can do it. And perhaps, one of the best ways to let them know they can do it, is to let them know they can do it at their pace.
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So inspiring...i like your last paragraph
ReplyDeleteA big THANK YOU to YEO LI XIN once again! WooHoo!!
ReplyDeletewah... Why the sudden use of my full name? YEO LI XIN. So scary... Haha. Thank God we made it up the Guting hut safe!
ReplyDelete